Wednesday, February 20, 2013

vegan potstickers and fried rice!

VEGAN POTSTICKERS.. MMMMMM
So. I had planned to make potstickers tonight, with fried rice on the side. It all started this past weekend, when I was digging though some vegan cookbooks, and blogs (see previous post). I knew that I had some egg roll wrappers stashed in the freezer, and I was ready for a little culinary challenge.

I was so proud of myself that I remembered to put the egg roll wrappers in the refrigerator on Monday. I knew that they would be ready for cooking today, so I just started making dinner. I put a cup of brown rice in the rice cooker, and started chopping for the potstickers.

In the potstickers, I scrambled some tofu (holy crap, it looks just like eggs when you crumble it), added some cabbage (we only had purple cabbage), onion, green onion, cilantro, mushrooms, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, sesame sauce, and a little bit of oil for it to cook in. I roughly followed this recipe (just minimized the amounts by quite a bit.. and I hardly ever measure).

After they insides were done cooking, I reached in the fridge for the egg roll wrappers.. that's when I realized that they're made with eggs! (duh!). I did a quick google search, and decided to make my own wrappers. I roughly followed this recipe (again, minimized quite a bit, and I did not let the dough sit. and I used wheat flour), rolled it out as thin as I could and wrapped it up. I wrapped it in this style, because I think it looks way cuter.

Meanwhile, the rice is done cooking. So I put a bit of oil in a pan, plopped the potstickers in the oil, and let them cook for a few minutes, roughly following this idea. After they were browned on the bottom, I added a little bit of water, and put the lid on. While they were cooking, I put some onions, broccoli, peas, and carrots in a pan with the brown rice. I heated it up a bit, and added some soy sauce. Inspired by this recipe.

This is me in the kitchen for a night. Jefferson gave the recipe an "8" (high on his scale, an 8 means make it again), and grabbed an extra potsticker before I could put them away.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment