Sunday, November 3, 2013

the best damn vegan biscuit

I have a confession to make - I love bread. Any kind really - white, wheat, sourdough, biscuit, crackers.. even croutons! 

So you can imagine how hard it was for me to admit that I sucked at making homemade biscuits. They would never fluff up, even the recipes I would fin.d that say they guaranteed a fluffy biscuit. I researched for weeks trying to find the perfect biscuit recipe and I did. 

biscuit, october 2012
But then I went vegan, and all the rules changed. Vegan butter starts to melt immediately, and I went back to having the same flat hockey-puck biscuit problems. 

Until I found the best damn vegan biscuit recipe. The recipe uses almond milk/lemon juice instead of buttermilk. And the combination of frozen butter and the pastry blender works to keep the butter solid and creates fluffy biscuits. 

best damn vegan biscuits
I used a combination of whole wheat and white flour, so they didn't rise as high, but I love the complexity of taste with whole wheat flour. 

One trick that I have found - it only takes about 5 minutes to put these together, but it takes 8 minutes for my oven to preheat to 450. So after I'm done making the biscuits, I pop them in the freezer until the oven is ready. 

All the other tips on the side are gold - leave the batter 1in tall when cutting the biscuits, make sure they touch on the pan, and keep the butter as cold as possible as long as possible. This is not a food-processor recipe, the motor/blades make the fragile vegan butter heat up too quickly. Use a pastry blender, or forks/knives to cut the butter into the flour.

And get some jam! 

Tracy


No comments:

Post a Comment