Saturday, November 2, 2013

on craft fairs and pinterest

Today I participated in the first-ever Fresno High Flea - a craft/vintage/flea market that takes place in the parking lot at Fresno High.

Usually when I do craft fairs, it's inside a gym and all I get is an 8x4 table. This time, the event was outdoors, and I had an entire 10x10 space to fill. I searched for booth display ideas on pinterest, and sketched out something that I wanted in my mind.

previous booth set up with 8x4 table
I had this idea that I wanted to use 2 ladders on either side of the booth and tie string in between them and then hang up ALL my items on the string. Or it could be a coat rack (like last years) and a ladder. Or whatever I could find.

So I put out the call on my facebook, but no one responded. I started to stress a bit - I didn't want to spend any money on the booth display, but I went searching at thrift stores anyway. Right before I really went into a panic, I found the perfect two items - a metal green outdoor shelf and a wooden ladder. They belong to my neighbor, who is currently out of town and has trusted me to pick her peppers... and probably not to steal her garden items. But I did anyway! (I'm totally going to tell her when she comes back, she'll probably wonder why they're so clean!). 

the booth set up!
So I used the two big pieces, strung some string, and had a small table for my set up. Overall, I believe it was a success. I got a lot of compliments on my work, and I think it was because it was displayed so cleanly. 

Next month, I need to figure out a way to spread the bags out more. People looked, but there wasn't a lot of bag movement. 

Tracy


No comments:

Post a Comment