Saturday, January 26, 2013

introducing the 28 day challenge

"February Focus" is what they're calling it. The demons who've invented this 28 day challenge. (Only partially joking). (Okay, really joking).

28 days of vegan diet. 28 days of exercise. 28 days to refocus.

Perfect balance yoga, a yoga studio I just recently started practicing at, is hosting this event. They are offering a ton of support, from cooking classes, to shopping lists (they've even threatened to shop with you), to M-F organized workouts. I don't know what drew me to this event - I think it might have been a combination of my new love of yoga, and excitement of losing weight (J+I have been counting calories since July, and I've lost 12 pounds!), and I think it might have just been the idea that it will be challenging, but I'll have built-in accountability since it's with a group.

So for the past few weeks I've been building up my excitement, and reading about all things vegan. I even made a pinterest board and I've been pinning up recipes and stuff. I want to make the transition as seamless as possible - to keep my husband on board, and so that I might want to keep it up after the month is over.

VEGAN ENCHILADAS! WHOOO 
Tonight, I made a practice run. We host a Saturday night dinner every week with our dear friend, and doggie aunt. I've been eyeing this recipe for a few days, and so when I saw avocados on sale at Trader Joes, I jumped on em.

This. was. delicious. It was beyond delicious. I used kale instead of spinach, because that's what we had. I also used super extra garlic, because that's how we roll.

The avocado-cilantro cream was incredible - smooth, lime-y, thick. Almost like guacamole but without onion flavor, and it was completely blended. I wanted to eat the whole bowl with a spoon. I only used half the called for amount of lime, because I had canned lime juice.

And, while I added some Trader Joe's brand vegan cheese to the top, I probably didn't need to. They were full of flavor - I made my own enchilada sauce that had a ton of flavor on its own.

Even my meat-eater husband was satisfied.

Do not hesitate to make this. And, I'll be posting nearly everyday during the month of February with more vegan recipes.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment