Thursday, March 21, 2013

BBQ pizza

mmmmmmm!
It all started innocently enough. Yesterday, at Fresh and Easy, the focaccia dough was on sale. 

If you don't have an F+E near you, then you might not know about their sale bins. They're filled with expiring, or near expiring produce, and lunch-to-go things - oftentimes reduced at more than half the price. It's worth it if you're like me, and you shop everyday (or nearly everyday). Then you find focaccia dough on sale and decide at that moment that you will have vegan pizza tomorrow. 

I've made some pretty failed vegan pizzas so far. I keep thinking they need to be like conventional pizza - with gooey cheese and one topping. I keep trying to replace that with vegan cheeses and sauce - but it hasn't worked. In fact, I can't really stand the smell or taste of the vegan cheeses. 

So I decided I would own this pizza. No cheese, no apologies.

I started with the rosemary focaccia dough. Added to it a tablespoon or so of tomato paste (I probably would have preferred tomato sauce if I had it). Added to that a tablespoon or so of BBQ sauce (Trader Joe's carries our favorite - called Bullseye). On top of that, I added a cup or so of chopped and sautéed tofu. (I cooked the tofu beforehand, just to brown the edges, with a little bit of garlic powder and onion powder). Added to that all the veggies. Red onions, green onions, broccoli (on my side), bell pepper. Then I added just a couple of chopped cashews (for a crunch), and one more drizzle of BBQ sauce. Baked the pizza at 400 for about 20 minutes, and then sprinkled fresh chopped cilantro on top.

Jefferson gave it a thumbs up, and so did I.

Vegan pizza, you are mine!

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment